School children eating fruits. PHOTO/COURTESY
By OUR CORRESPONDENT
In addition to educating youngsters about regular hand-washing, which is a must for avoiding the spread of germs, now is the time to boost your children’s immune systems. And with a lunch box full of healthy, tasty foods and snacks, you can do so naturally.
Step 1: Get Kitchen-Ready
Step 2: Load-up on All-Natural, Immune-Boosting Lunch Foods
- Whole grain breads, pitas and wraps are rich in fiber, vitamin B, folic acid, and other nutrients, and these slow-burning carbs will keep kids’ energy steady for hours.
- Colorful veggies and fruits such as apples, berries (fresh or frozen), cantaloupe and kiwi, tomatoes, kale, broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrots, and avocados are also great for lunches. Naturally rich in antioxidants and important vitamins and minerals, these foods are essential for overall health, including immunity, growth, and development.
- Lean, protein-rich sources such as organic, nitrate-free lunch meats, grilled chicken, tofu, or tempeh will help maintain energy, increase metabolism, and boost immunity, too – so be sure to load up.
- Healthy, essential fats such as omega-3 fortified eggs, flaked, light tuna, and olive oil are also a good source of nutrition. Omega-3 fatty acids are absolutely essential for kids’ overall health, including brain development and function.
- Raw, natural nuts and seeds, including almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews, and walnuts, as well as 100 percent natural peanut butter (or soy or other nut butters) are rich in healthy fats, fiber, and protein, as well as immune-boosting vitamin E, zinc, and iron.
While traditional news reporting is losing its relevance, serious investigation now requires more than basic journalistic skills. To do this we require a lot of resources.
You can either BECOME A SPONSOR or MAKE A CONTRIBUTION
Nelson Mandela once said: “A critical, independent, and investigative press is the lifeblood of any democracy. The press must be free from state interference. It must have the economic strength to stand up to the blandishments of government officials. It must have sufficient independence from vested interests to be bold and inquiring without fear or favor. It must enjoy the protection of the constitution, so that it can protect our rights as citizens.”
If you like our journalism support us to continue bringing you groundbreaking and agenda setting stories.