By OUR CORRESPONDENT
The man who chopped off his wife’s hands in Masii, Machakos County will remain in police custody as his request for bond awaits conclusion.
Stephen Ngila – through his lawyer Moses Kamolo, told Machakos senior resident magistrate K Kibelion that the reasons advanced by prosecution lawyers did not meet the mandatory threshold to deny him bail.
The prosecution, led by senior State counsel Joseph Gikonyo had earlier submitted a raft of arguments on why the court should deny or delay bail for the suspect who has already pleaded not guilty to a charge of attempted murder.
According to the Standard, the prosecution argued that the accused, being the husband of the victim – Jackline Mwende – who is also the key witness, is likely to interfere with the case.
But defence lawyer Moses Kamolo trashed the submissions, terming them ‘imaginary arguments’ that cannot pass a judicial test. The court will rule on August 10 whether the suspect will be freed on bond.
While traditional news reporting is losing its relevance, serious investigation now requires more than basic journalistic skills. To do this we require a lot of resources.
You can either BECOME A SPONSOR or MAKE A CONTRIBUTION
Nelson Mandela once said: “A critical, independent, and investigative press is the lifeblood of any democracy. The press must be free from state interference. It must have the economic strength to stand up to the blandishments of government officials. It must have sufficient independence from vested interests to be bold and inquiring without fear or favor. It must enjoy the protection of the constitution, so that it can protect our rights as citizens.”
If you like our journalism support us to continue bringing you groundbreaking and agenda setting stories.